Monday, August 22, 2011

Almost back to normal!

Well, I still feel like I’m going round in circles, but if I can mix my metaphors, I can see light at the end of the tunnel (which must prove I’m not going in circles! lol)
Today, after much preparation and lots of hullabaloo, we dropped our daughter off at university. We met the room-mates and took her for lunch before saying a tearful (at least on my part!) goodbye.  She felt so small when I put my arms round her to hug her. Like most Mums, I can’t believe she’s old enough to fly the nest! I did leave a surprise under her pillow…. quite literally, an emergency bar of chocolate! I forgot to take a picture of it, but it can be found here.  It actually states on the wrapper that it is for for "immediate relief of: chocolate cravings, lovesickness, exam pressure, mild anxiety and extreme hunger" At least I know she will eat something tonight!

So, on to stitching news.
While we were on holiday in Scotland we visited The Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh . This amazing museum has all sorts of wonderful children’s toys etc and also this little collection…







These amazing samplers were stitched by children some time during the 1800’s. I did scribble down the details but, in true Rhona fashion, have lost them. Still, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Aren’t they amazing?
Now my stitching looks rather pathetic compared to the wonderful samplers done by these children! This is what I am (still) working on.

I have managed to add to my collection of ort’s by having to unpick the backstitch that I did using the wrong colour! I really should listen to that little voice in my head – it kept saying that colour wasn’t dark enough but I thought it was just because it was late at night and the light was poor. In the morning, I realized I was wrong, and had to unpick all the backstitching, which I hate having to do. Anyway, it will look good when finished using the right colour…or so the voices tell me! lol

Until next time…happy stitching!

Rhona

4 comments:

Anne said...

Those samplers are amazing! Especially because they were made 100's of years ago by wee hands. They were so talented, creating their own borders, colours and motifs. I really like the second and third one with those lovely bright colours! And Rhona, your stitching is not pathetic! Your alphabet will be precious too!! Can't wait to see the rest :D

cucki said...

yup..very lovely sampler..i am keep on looking at them..
your alphabet is so sweet..i love it so much..keep well..hugs xx

Lynn said...

Gorgeous samplers!! I find it so amazing that these beauties are created by such young hands.
Sorry to hear that the frogs paid you a visit which resulted in some ripping out. Here's to hoping things go much more smoothly the second time. The alphabet is looking great!

Unknown said...

Oh I missed that collection (I was in Edinburugh last year) how annoying. But I'm so glad you took photos. They are amazing but you have to remember that's all they did, no TV, probably high born so no chores. And it might have ttaken a year to complete. We do pretty well. I know you could do that if you wanted to.