Monday, November 7, 2011

A holly jolly Christmas tag - and more!

Making gift tags before buying your Christmas presents - is this puting the cart before the horse...or is it called being organized? I like to think it's being organized (only because being organized isn't one of my strong points!) So I have been beavering away making tags from the gift tags chart from http://www.tangledthreadsonline.com/ and this is one of the tags I have made....


I love the way the black card makes the whole design so vibrant - and would co-ordinate with almost any gift wrap.

Another 'problem' I have is giving gift cards. They are great for teacher gifts and for people that you don't know that well. I know that teens especially love to get them, it means they can buy exactly what they want etc, etc, but I always wonder if it looks as if I didn't care, or had forgotten to buy a gift and it was a last minute rush. Anyway, I have found a way to please both the recipient and myself......making a gift card holder!


This shows that I care, and took time to make something so I don't have to feel guilty about giving a gift card afterall!



This is another one of those really easy projects....you know how I like those!

I stitched the holly from the chart, backed it with iron-on interfacing (so the colour of the felt wouldn't show through) and carefully cut round the design.
I bought a square of black felt from the craft store, measured the size of the gift card and cut out two rectangles slightly larger than the gift card, leaving some extra room for stitching the pieces together. My gift card was 5.5 cm x 8.5 cm and I cut the felt approx. 7 cm x 9.5 cm.
Then all I did was blanket stitch the two pieces together using six strands of embroidery thread using the same green that was in the design. Blanket stitch is very easy and the only 'trick' to it is to keep the stitches the same distance apart and the same depth.


For the corner, all you have to do is make the three corner stitches go in the same hole!



Just make sure that the tension is the same all through the stitching....the devil is in the details as they say!!



Voila! A quick and easy project!

Now all I have to do is buy the Christmas presents! (That's the hard part)

Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona

6 comments:

Fiona said...

lovely idea Rhona :) I might just try this myself and add a plaited 'handle' to the pouch so I can hang it on the tree :)

happy stitching

Fiona x

Anne said...

Ooh, another great idea Rhona!! I agree with you about the "impersonal" gift card. what a great way to jazz it up! Love the card!!

cucki said...

yup..another lovely idea..i love it..
it is so sweet..well done xx

Mangogirl said...

What a wonderful idea! I can also see that method working to make any sort of small simple pouch! Which is exciting...mobile phone pouch, credit card pouch ... all sorts of possibilities!

Lynn said...

Brilliant, I love it!

Patty said...

I am such a dork. I love the blanket stitch but never knew to use the same hole for the corner stitches. Thanks for the tip! And I love your gift card!