Monday, October 1, 2012

Making a gift card holder



I've got a cute little project to show you that's great for all year long, but the design I'm using today makes it great for winter birthdays and, dare I say it.....Christmas! Sorry, but it is October, and Christmas is right around the corner!

So onto my project for today....

Gift cards – love ‘em or loath ‘em there here to stay and they make great gifts!

I used to feel really uncertain about giving a gift card as a gift. I thought they looked a bit impersonal. I worried that the recipient would think that I had either forgotten about getting them a gift and that the gift card was a last minute effort, or that I couldn’t be bothered to take the time and buy them something they would like…or worse, that I didn’t know what they would like! But they are perfect in so many ways – the recipient can choose exactly what they want, right size, right colour etc., and who doesn’t like to go out shopping and treat themselves to something? (Ok, my hubby would the one who hates that, but he’s the exception that proves the rule!)

So here’s my way to show that you took some time and care over the gift of a gift card.


The perfect, handmade gift card holder. Cute, practical and personal! 

The little penguin motif is from my website www.TangledThreadsOnline.com and it's a great little alphabet for many reasons. Apart from the fact that it's super cute (!) it's great to use for  winter birthdays. It's also brilliant for using up all those odd bits of threads that we collect. you can easily change the colours of the borders, hats or scarves to suit either the recipient or whatever threads you have in your stash! Cool uh?

Here’s how I made it.


You will need –
Cross stitched design (Penguin alphabet from www.TangledThreadsOnline.com)
Iron-on interfacing
Felt in co-ordinating colour approx. 18 ½ cm x 11 ½ cm
Stranded cotton thread
Self-adhesive Velcro dots
Fabric glue





1. Iron out any creases on your cross stitch motif then back with iron-on interfacing.
Trim round design 1 square from the edge of the stitching.

  2. Fold felt into thirds, this ‘pocket’ should fit a standard size gift card, but do check just in case you have a wacky sized gift card!

3. Pin edges to hold in place.





4. Blanket stitch using all six strands of thread.





5.  Find center point of the top ‘flap’ and trim to form a triangle.

Glue the trimmed cross stitch motif centrally to flap.





6.   Attach self-adhesive Velcro dots.




 7.     Insert gift card!



 Simple!

 So there you have it! A simple, easy way to show you care and still give a gift card.


Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona

19 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

Great tip thanks!!!

Carolyn @ The Baseball Stitcher said...

Ok, this is seriously one of the cutest things I have ever seen!! I can't wait to make a few now! Thank you for the tutorial!

Pull the other thread said...

Looks great I really love it.

cucki said...

so sweet xx

♥ Nia said...

Lovely!! =) thank you for sharing the tutorial to make it! :)
hugs&smiles

Debbie D (Padster) said...

brill project - I used your interfacing tip the other day to make a wallhanging - thank you xx

Le trame della Galaverna said...

It is lovely.
ciao

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing.Must remember this one.

Faith... said...

I love it!!

Thanks for the tutorial - I may just give it a try!

Mangogirl said...

awww it's so cute! I love this design. I will have to think about doing this for my sister!

ariadne said...

Lovely!And not only for gift cards!One could put a cute message inside or another little gift!AriadnefromGreece!

Valma said...

this is very cute, a good idea, even to offer money or another little gift at Xmas =)
and Xmas will soon be here, you're right !
thanks for sharing your tutorial
big hugs
xxx

Smily - Света said...

Looks nice and easy, I'll try to do one for me :)

Tracey Walker said...

What a great idea. This would work as a larger piece too to make a purse etc I might give it a go myself.

http://traceyinlife.blogspot.co.uk/

Xeihua (Sara) said...

That's a great idea :D Thank you so much for sharing as I will most likely use it :D

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT ! Ann

Joysze said...

Super cute! Love it. :D

Waseem said...

like the tutorial..i think it's much easy to do it..if i find the fabric you used for it i will definitely used it for Gift Card envelopes.

Muhammad Amjad said...

Gift cards are simple...but these are cute.I wish to you share.
Discount card printing