Thursday, December 6, 2012

Granny Squares

Remember all those granny squares I was crocheting? Well I'm now at the stage of joining them all together to make a throw... or afghan.... or blanket....I'm not sure what the correct term is, but it's a thing to warp yourself up in and snuggle under when the weather is cold and miserable! All those lovely cheerful colours are sure to brighten up any dull, miserable winter's day.

Since I've just learned to crochet, and making granny squares is the sum total of my crocheting knowledge, I decided to whip stitch the squares together. This seemed to be the quickest and easiest method to use. Unfortunately, the since the yarn that I used to make the granny squares is variegated, it really showed up when I stitched the squares together and just looked, well....wrong!


The only way to make it look less obvious was to find a stretch of yarn with the same colours as the squares that were to be joined and use that. it meant lots of cutting and snipping and took such a long time. Even using this time consuming method, it still didn't look right, so in the end I decided to make the joins quite obvious and crochet the squares together. So after Googling the different methods on how to join the squares together, this is the method I chose...


Crocheting then together turned out to be more enjoyable than stitching them together!

I've managed to do all the horizontal stitching and  just have to work on the vertical joins now. This is what it looks like at the moment...


One thing that surprised me is just how heavy it is! I'm going to enjoy snuggling up with this blanket/afghan/ throw (whatever the correct term is) ....roll on winter weather!

Until next time..happy stitching.

Rhona



9 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

Very colourful!! Should keep you nice & warm too :)

cucki said...

Very pretty..looking so sweet xxx

Mouse said...

oooooo gorgeous colours and mmm think I may have to try to make one of these one day ... enjoy your snuggle blankie :) love mouse xxxx

Valma said...

doing the squares was already a great job, and now joining them all is another one =D
It's very colourful, very great
It'll be a very lovely piece , blanket, Afghan...or whatever the name =D
Big hugs
xxx

Ariadne said...

Beautiful, I want to learn to crochet too. Is it too late?AriadnefromGreece!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Your throw is lovely such bright colours!
Love the reindeers in the previous post too.

-girl from the bush said...

Hi Rhona, your blanket looks lovely. love the bright cheery colour you have used. I taught myself to crochet about 2 years ago now and from reading blogs , and love it! I have made 2 blankets to date but every time i see someones squares it makes me want to do another one but i said i would not do another one till it gets cooler so i can concentrate on some of my quilts that need finishing. sue~nz

Lija Broka said...

It looks amazing! Would have suited the weather here ... I was looking forward to finishing knitting a jumper, but that will probably not work out since I have most of the sleeves still to go.

SandZ said...

Absolutely gorgeous :0) I knitted a blanket for my baby cousin then crocheted it together :) I loved it and I believe the finished item is on my page under knitting/crochet finishes :0)
x