Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pics...as promised! :)

Finally, I have my camera back and can share some pictures with you!

I had been stitching on Twilight Silhouette which was slow going....dark navy fabric and stitching with four strands of threads doesn't make for speedy stitching....not that I could ever claim to be a speedy stitcher even at the best of times!

Here's the progress with the fairy....


Picture quality isn't too good, but at least you can see how she's progressing. I had decided to keep this stitching a secret and give the finished piece to my daughter for her Christmas, so had carefully hidden the stitching away at the back of my wardrobe and was trying to decide what to work on over the summer while she was at home. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had taken pics of the stitching and, of course, my daughter borrowed the camera and had a look at all the pictures on the disc! Luckily for me she loved the look of the stitching and asked if I could do something like that for her....so I had to confess that it was for her. So no Christmas surprise for her, but it means I don't have to hide it away and can keep working on it.

Here's what I had started to work on while the fairy was temporarily hidden.....



It's another design from the Margaret Sherry bookazine. This was the design that was causing me all sorts of problems with the frogs! First of all, I had to convert the listed anchor threads to the DMC equivalents which as we all know, never seem to look right! I changed them for what I thought would work, then found a conversion for this chart online....so I abandoned my thread pics in favour of the ones listed....big mistake! After stitching some of the design, I just had to unpick as the colours looked dreadful! I resorted back to my own colour choices, and although they seem much brighter/stronger than the photo in the magazine, I think they look fine. I changed the reds in the mugs as I didn't like the way they were stitching up either, and decided to change them to a mint colour which I think was a nice contrast to the blues in the other mugs. The blue colours are a bit pale and I'm tempted to do a bit more unpicking so that I can get the colours the way I want them to look, although I'm so fed-up of unpicking, but I'm a bit fussy, and I want it to look right! My ort jar is certainly filling up quickly this month!

So, hopefully the frogs will have moved on to a new home....hopefully not yours!

Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona

11 comments:

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Gorgeous stitching. I try and avoid converting threads if I can help it but I like to look at the threads in the store and compare if I can that way the colours work a little better.

Pull the other thread said...

Both projects look fantastic. Sorry to hear you have had so many problems with getting the kitty project just right but it looks great so it will be worth it in the end.

cucki said...

Beautiful projects
I
Love them all
Hugs x

Mii Stitch said...

Wow Rhona! Both wips look fantastic!!! I'm sure your daughter will love the silhouette even though it's no longer a surprise and the MS design are always so cute :) Have fun x

Ariadne Skyrianidou said...

They both look wonderful!AriadnefromGreece!

Preeti said...

Lovely stitching !! :)
Thread shades sometimes are a big problem. We don't get DMC here so I depend on Anchor shades but even the Anchor shade nos. are different here; not all, but 10-15 % of them are like that and most of the time I face the challenge for few shades.

Faith... said...

Twilight Silhouette is so pretty! Your kitties are cute :)

Shebafudge said...

How annoying with the thread conversion. It will all be worth it in the end!

Angel Blue said...

Very nice stitching

Steph said...

The fairy is beautiful! And the Margaret Sherry stitch is looking lovely too. XOX

♥ Nia said...

Twilight looks fantastic :) and your MSherry is so cute too, I'm a fan of all MSherry's designs =)