Saturday, December 17, 2016

Advent Calendar Blog Hop!

Welcome to day 17 of the Advent Blog Hop hosted by the lovely Jo from Serendipitousstitching

So the lovely Jo gave everyone taking part a question to answer...

Decorations - do you have a favourite decoration
you must have on display every year,
maybe an heirloom, one the children made
 or something with a special story behind it?

That's an easy question.....yes I do! But not just one  favourite decoration....several! When my children were growing up we started a tradition that they could choose and buy an ornament for the tree. Every year they would get some money and we would walk into town and go to a certain shop and there they could buy any ornament that they liked. They had to go to the cash register themselves and hand over their cash (usually the  lofty sum of £1....and in those days it was a paper note!) We would then go for hot chocolate and walk  back home. I still remember their faces as their chubby little hands held onto the bag that held their treasured ornaments. Even to this day, every Christmas these decorations hold so many memories and they each discuss which one belongs to who....and why oh why do we have two of the same one? (Of course, I cannot remember the reason why!) I would never trade these cheap and tacky ornaments for anything....I LOVE them :)



  
My daughter loves the tradition even although we couldn't carry on doing it when we moved to the US. Years later, when she was traveling in Europe she brought back a hand made wooden ornament from Austria for me so that we could keep the tradition alive.....how sweet! Here's the one she picked for me...


Hopefully it's a tradition that they might carry on with their own children one day. And yes.... I admit it, I'm a sentimental old fool :)

As for Christmas stitching.....well I seem to be working on Christmas stitching all year round! As many of you know, I design cross stitch charts so that means starting thinking about Christmas designs very early in the year! So if I'm not thinking of Christmas stitching, I'm designing Christmas stitching....and by the time that's all over with, it's time to start my own Christmas stitching. Which is why I am often singing Christmas carols in the middle of summer!!!

Here's one Christmas piece that I stitched a few years ago.....




And one of my own designs that I just completed a few months ago, but still has to be finished...




Finishing is definitely not my strength, as you have probably gathered by now if you are a regular reader :)

Please pop over to Jo's blog and check out all those taking part in the blog hop. A big thank you, of course, for Jo for organizing this.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas/Yule/winter season....whatever you celebrate.

Until next time....happy stitching!

Rhona


21 comments:

Preeti said...

The 'Joy' stitching is very beautiful ! That's a nice family tradition of ornaments :) I know being sentimental when it is connected with children. We get earthen lamps on Diwali festival and my daughter has painted few over the years. Her first one was done in school when she was 5 years old with glitter powder sprinkled and sequins glued asymmetrically all over, I have still kept it :)

Kate said...

Rhona, such a lovely story about your children and the tree ornaments. I still have some of the handmade ornaments that our children made when they were very young and they still go on the tree. Each time we decorate the tree it's a trip down memory lane - a most enjoyable trip. I'm very fond of your designs and absolutely love the two you've shared today. Merry Christmas.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. Your Joy is a joy to behold! And the mice are so cute.
I like your tradition of choosing the ornies too, such a lovely idea. I do hope your children continue it with their own children.

Bea said...

That's a wonderful Christmas memory and I'm sure you smile every time you hang one of those ornaments. Joy is beautiful and I love those little mice. Mind you, the levitating one has me a little worried though - what is in those snacks?

Elfie said...

Thank you for sharing your Christmas stories. I collect vintage decorations, so it was lovely to see yours. Merry Christmas.

deb said...

Beautiful stitching! And I really enjoyed hearing about your children picking out special ornaments for your tree and purchasing them - such a lovely tradition.

Justine said...

What a lovely tradition! Those are very precious ornaments.
I never thought that designers would be stitching out of season. I bet you get some funny looks for singing carols in August!

Brigitte said...

Such cherished Christmas memories from the times when your children were still little.

FlashinScissors said...

Ha ha! Levitating one! Hee, hee, hee! See what she meant now!
I enjoyed reading about your children's tradition of buying the decorations! Such a sweet memory! Love your beautiful stitching, especially Santa's Snacks. Nice to see you are a non-finisher ..... just like me! You have given me a chuckle!
Barbara xx (it's my calendar day today ..... 18th!)

Ariadne said...

Such lovely ornaments and stitching! I love the moon!AriadnefromGreece!

Julie said...

A lovely collection of decorations you shared for the blog hop.

Loretta said...

beautiful decorations <3

Suzanne H said...

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing!

Melinda Forbes said...

Thank you sharing your wonderful Christmas Ornament Tradition. It's really a wonderful tradition. I loved your stitched Cardinal. My favorite bird. And I love Santa's Snacks

Christine said...

Beautiful Christmas stitching, and I love your tradition with the ornaments

Astrids dragon said...

I love your ornament tradition, such treasures!
Your stitching is lovely, I really love Santa's snacks.

Katie said...

I am very sentimental too. I smiled thinking of your fun tradition. How special. They are all beautiful. I just LOVE the cardinal piece. Your piece is gorgeous too. Can't wait to see how you will finish it. I don't do very well finishing my stuff either. Merry Christmas!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Beautiful Christmas stitching.
I love your childrens ornaments,so special. Merry Christmas.

Helen Philipps said...

Lovely to read about your children's sweet Christmas ornament tradition. So special to have those lovely memories. Your Christmas cross stitching is beautiful as always. Merry Christmas Rhona!
Helen xox

♥ Nia said...

ohhh santa snacks is so cute! adorable =)
Happy 2017!!!! Hope it will bring you all your wishes :D
hugs, Nia

Heather said...

Aww I love that tradition! I think they're all very pretty :)