Monday, July 2, 2018

Almost a finish!

I was soooo close to having a cross stitch finish for today, but it wasn't to be......


....this was another one of the free gifts from the CrossStitcher magazine that I picked up while in the UK. The design came with a cute little camper van button to stitch in that blank spot you can see in the stitching. Unfortunately I have put it somewhere safe and can't for the life of me find it anywhere!!! Hopefully when I have a clear out of my work space I will come across it and finish this cute little card.

This little design didn't take up all my time last week, even although I am still the queen of slow stitching! While we were back in the UK we saw for ourselves how much my mother-in-law had deteriorated with  Alzheimers. I decided to research how we could help her even though we were so far away. I came across many ideas of activities that can help slow the progression of the disease, so I decided to make as many of these activities as I could. So I set out last week armed with my sewing machine, felt, glue gun and various other crafty bits I have stashed away. 

The first activity was matching the felt colour to the straws and moving the felt from one side of the straw to the other.......


The next one involved me using the sewing machine...which as you know, me and my sewing machine have a strained relationship! :) This was a marble maze, so you have to move the marble from one side to the other. This is a great activity to keep fidgety fingers busy. Instead of just sewing round the maze once, I stitched several times in a contrasting thread colour so that it can be seen easily and not cause frustration. 


This next one is a set of coloured craft stricks with velcro dots attached so that different shapes or patterns can be made. Here it is in it's own little bag....


The last activity (so far!) involved some paint sample chips, clothes pegs and the trusted old glue gun. This one isn't quite finished but only has a few little bits to finish it off....


All these activities can be placed in their own little bag and stored away or easily carried if needed. My next activity will be a big challenge for me as it does involve that dreaded sewing machine (but for my mother-in-law. it's worth conquering my fear) and I'll be attempting to make a fidget quilt for her....wish me luck!

Until next time....happy stitching!

Rhona

9 comments:

RJ said...

Rhona, I just love your little stitch. It is adorable. I am searching everywhere for three buttons that go on a SBush stitch and I can't find the safe spot I put them in. LOL!!! We are sisters at heart.

I love the games you have put together for you MIL. That is so kind and loving of you. My MIL suffered from Alzheimer's too and it is a very difficult illness to go through. She is in my prayers. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Katie said...

A beach themed piece....of course I love it. Hope you find the button soon. I can't wait to see the finished piece. Love the projects you made. How sweet of you. I hope they help her out. Alzheimer's is a horrible thing.

Mini said...

That's a lovely stitch. You made some really good projects for your MIL. Very kind of you to do that.

Manuela said...

Your little stitching is wonderful.
Nice little games for your MIL.
Best wishes Manuela

Preeti said...

Lovely stitching! That's so thoughtful of you to use your creative skills and make activities for your MIL. I hope she benefits from these.

Irene said...

brava Rhona, bellissime le attività, saranno sicuramente d'aiuto

Mary said...

Rhona, you are a wonderful daughter-in-law to do this for your MIL. I hope that this helps slow the progression of this horrible disease.
Good luck finding your camper button for the adorable card, I think we all have put things in safe places and then forgotten our safe place!

Justine said...

What great projects for your MIL! I do hope it helps her. My Grandma had this awful disease, it's so sad.
I love your little camper van-less stitch too!

FlashinScissors said...

Sorry to hear your MIL has Alzheimer’s. I know from experience, with my late father, the course of the disease. It’s very good of you to make these projects to help your MIL. Hope they help.
Good luck finding your camper van button. I know we both agreed we didn’t like the button! I have decided to stitch the camper van. So mine will be a while longer before finishing! 😊
Hugs,
Barbara xx