Monday, November 11, 2019

Another felt stocking!

I couldn't resist buying (yet another!) felt stocking kit! I can see why some people become obsessed with them and collect the different designs available....they are addictive!

Those of you who are long time followers may remember that I have done a few of these felt stockings over the years....









...wow....even more than I remembered! So the first three pictures were ones I made for my daughter and her two room-mates at university. I bought the three kits and thought that I would have them stitched up in no time....little did I know how much work went into making each kit! Nieces, nephews and even my son-in-law were gifted these stockings over the years.  Now the owner of the very top pictured stocking has become a Mum, so it seemed fitting that I make her beautiful baby girl a stocking of her own. I wanted something that would kind of match her Mum's stocking and when I saw this in my local craft store, I just had to buy it....


Doesn't it look cute? I thought the blues in the design matched the blues in the original stocking.

It doesn't look as complicated as some of the other ones that I have made and I was really looking forward to starting this new project. The other stockings that I have made were all made by Bucilla , this one is by Design Works. But.....what a disappointment this kit is.....only some of the design is printed on the felt whereas the Bucilla kit had everything printed out. The main body of the stocking is printed  but the smaller pieces are not. I ended up tracing the design so that I could  figure out how to transfer the design onto the smaller pieces of felt (FYI freezer paper does the trick!).....



Here's the diagram of what's in the kit for each piece that you have to cut out...


So this kit is going to take much longer to make! So, the main parts of the stocking have the areas printed on the felt, so you basically just snip and stitch....luckily I didn't snip and stitch because I discovered this.....


The printed pieces don't match up! The white felt is too short.....9mm short! There's no way to disguise that big a difference. I sent an email to Design Works to let them know of this mistake in their kit and to see if they had any suggestions of what to do and they replied within the hour. So I can't complain about the speed of their customer service. They have promised to send me another piece of the white felt that, fingers crossed, will be marked correctly and I can then get back to making the stocking. 

Hoping your week is going better than mine! A big thank you to everyone who pops along and reads this blog, your comments are much appreciated.

Until next time....happy stitching!


Rhona

9 comments:

Suzanne Harkinson said...

Good thing you took your time to lay everything out first. I have never attempted one of these, my Mom made two for my sister and my niece which are lovely. Good luck.

Katie said...

How frustrating. Glad they replied and are sending you a new piece.

Kay said...

You have amazing stocking legacy, they all look like works of art. I hope this stocking is not as troublesome as it sounds to make up. x

Irene said...

Ma sono meravigliose!!!

FlashinScissors said...

It looks terribly complicated!
Well done you for pursuing the matter, and boy they replied fast!
All your stockings look fantastic!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Rachel said...

Given your previous experience with stockings (which are all absolutely wonderful by the way) you must feel so disheartened with this one. I hope your disappointment is soon replaced by the joy of making this cute design. At least a positive customer service experience should help. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I remember you sharing some of these stockings before. The Gingerbread House is my favourite.
Sorry to hear the new kit isn't quite up to scratch but at least you have enough experience to sort out any issues.

Marula Michela said...

Ma sono bellissime queste calze !!!

Astrids dragon said...

Lucky you find such a good match to the first one you made her! Sorry to hear you didn't have enough white, but at least they're sending you another piece.