Monday, January 25, 2016

Somebody can't measure.....

....and it's not me! 

I went to the craft store to buy some frames for my two lighthouse finishes (normally my finishes languish in a pile that I keep meaning to deal with, but never do! ) and found the perfect frames. Unfortunately they weren't made in the size of the finished stitching, but since I like a mat with the stitching, I went with the bigger sized frame and bought a couple of plain coloured mats to fit.....or at least I thought I did. Now the thing that you have to understand is that I'm really fussy (and a bit indecisive) about picking colours for frames and mats. It takes me ages to decide. You have no idea the problems I have with picking between white, winter white and off white....I kid you not! Any way, after  the trials and tribulations of making such a momentous decision, I get home unwrap each of the frames and mats to discover that......the mats don't fit!!!! Arghhhh! 

The mat which came with the packaging description of 'fits an 8" x 10" frame for a 5" x 7" picture', actually only measured 4½" x 6½ ".....cutting off some of the stitching that I wanted to be seen!

A few night later I was in the local Wal-mart and happened across some (much cheaper!) mats....same problem....they measured only 4½" x 6½"...but..... they also had double mats that when you remove the inner 4½" x 6½" mat, the remaining mat measures.....wait for it.....yayyy, the desired 5" x 7"!!!

And here's how these two stitched pieces look now...









I can't get a photo of the two pictures side by side as the reflections look awful. I think the distressed blue wood is perfect for the sea/ beach subject of the stitching....I'm so happy!

Now all I have to do is find a hammer and some nails and get these two lovelies on the wall.

Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona


21 comments:

Cath said...

Beautiful frames , they really enhance the pictures.

You said that you would like another picture to add to them , and Dimensions have a kit called Seaside Treasures. I saw that someone was selling one in one of the fb groups.
Will try and add the link for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/304080666399119/permalink/665387323601783/

xstitchlibrarian said...

Your frame selections are perfect for those designs and you should deb very pleased with them - they look fantastic! Well done...

Ariadne said...

Oh they are so so beautiful in their frames!I am sure you are so happy with them!AriadnefromGreece!

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Perfect needles works and perfect frames. You choose the best frame.
Congratulations for yours beautiful finishes.

Heather said...

They look great! Id take them back and get a refund. I love the blue wood look

Blu said...

They look great! The distressed wood look of the frames is perfect for them.

Preeti said...

Both are looking absolutely wonderful in those perfect frames !!:)

gominam said...

I had a similar problem before, now I always count on my measuring tape in my purse:) Great idea removing the inner matting, They look gorgeous!

Mii Stitch said...

Perfect frames for your perfect finishes, well done!

Katie said...

Ohh they look perfect. Sorry you had all the trouble.

cucki said...

Wow both looking super beautiful xx

Justine said...

Perfect frames and mats! The distressed blue wood looks like driftwood next to your seaside stitching. Well done for getting them framed and on display too.

Rachel said...

Your framed pieces look amazing Rhona, even if they were a bit of a headache to put together! I thought they were much bigger than 5x7 - it's amazing how much can be crammed into such a small design. I hope you're very proud of them. :)

Stitching Noni said...

What lovely finishes! The frames set them off perfectly... even if the mats were a pain in the you know what to start with!! :o)
Hugs xx

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Your Finish is so cute and so darling...I love the way you finish your two WIP's and the Frames are just gorgeous.

I am a new Follower of your Blog and I would love for you to be a follower of mine. My link is:

http://lindaksstitchingcorner.blogspot.com

I love the background of your Blog. It is so pretty. I love looking at your Blog.

♥ Nia said...

Gorgeous!! Those frames look just perfect! :D

Emma/Itzy said...

They look perfect! :)

Thoughts from the Stitchy Side said...

I Finished the first one for my father a few years ago. The framing and stitching go so well together. GReat job!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your framing looks gorgeous! The sizing issues are common to all stock frames and mats, they are designed for photographs. That's the reason I always have a little tape measure in my handbag so I can check the true dimensions in the shop!

Weronika said...

Amazing finish and great framing!

Rita Isabel said...

They look great and perfect!!