Monday, November 12, 2018

Super quick back stitching!

I've been proven wrong yet again! I honestly thought that the back stitching of the sea shells design would take an age to complete and be super boring......well, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong!

This didn't take me as long as I thought it would, and has been (almost) enjoyable as it really is making each shell pop. I decided to be methodical and do this in an organized fashion (how unlike me!) So, starting at the top and working down.....


...then the first shell which was quick and easy with really only the outline of the shell to do and a small bit of the inside...


...this next shell was a bit more fiddly and required a bit of counting to make sure the back stitching was in the right place....


...another fiddly one as the colours are very similar similar so more counting required....


...this next one isn't finished, but has been really easy as the design basically tells you where the back stitching should be....


I'm using a smaller needle to do the back stitching - this is the first time I have done that - usually I just use the same needle that I have used for the rest of the stitching, but, I'm following my own advice which you can see here. Maybe it's the smaller needle that's helping to speed up the back stitching progress or the fact that I'm using the sewing method rather than the stabbing method of back stitching....whatever it is I'm very happy at how quickly it's coming along. 

Here's how the whole thing looks so far...


I know it's rather squint (and a tad dark!), but you get the idea....ooh, almost there!

So....what method do you use for back stitching....stabbing or sewing?

Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Seashells is looking great and I'm glad the backstitching is not as bad as you were expecting; it never is really, once you get going.
As a mostly two-handed stitcher I use the stabbing method. But even using one hand I would never have considered using the sewing method. :)

Maggie said...

What a lovely design, the back stitching really does make those shells pop.

How do I do my back stitching? I avoid design with back stitching, lol

LindaLee said...

What a pretty piece! The back stitching does indeed make it all pop. I think that's why I've never minded doing the back stitching. I love all the colors in it. Fantastic job.

Sasha said...

They are looking great! Next step... happy dance!

Katie said...

It's looking fantastic! I try to backstitch as I go and I do it just like the normal stab method.

Ariadne said...

Such a lovely pattern! AriadnefromGreece!

Astrids dragon said...

I know it can be a pain, but I'm glad it's going well for you. I'd say I'm a stabber, but maybe I should try sewing the next time.

RJ said...

I love the beauty of this stitch. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Mary said...

I love how the backstitching made everything pop. I am a stabber all the way!!!

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

They look wonderful! I’m always amazed at the difference the backstitching makes.