Monday, February 20, 2017

Goldilocks stitching.

Goldilocks stitching? It's not a new design I've started working on....or a new designer....it's when you can't get the colour 'just right'! :)

I started back stitching the lighthouse design and was stitching up a storm....until.....I realized that I was using the wrong colour thread! Duh. The chart uses different coloured lines for the different colours of threads (obviously!) and the black line was for the dark charcoal colour so when I started doing the lazy daisy stitches for the leaves, I used the dark charcoal colour as the lazy daisy stitches were printed with a black line. It was only when I had done about half of the stitches that I began to think that it looked a bit too dark. Of course, when I checked the chart I noticed that although the lazy daisy stitches were printed with a black line but were supposed to be stitched using very dark green ....arghhh! Time to unpick....not one of my  favourite of things to do. (Don't think it's any stitchers favourite thing to do!)

OK, start again....this time with the correct colour....


....mmmm....still think it's too dark.......check the picture on the kit only to realize that it has been stitched using a paler green! Unpick....again! Start (again!) with the paler shade of green...


arghhh....it's too pale....


So now I'm heading off to my stash of threads to see if I have something in-between the too dark green and the too pale green...the Goldilocks shade that's 'just right' for those leaves!


So, hopefully by next week, I'll be able to show you the finished lighthouse with those pesky leaves stitched in the perfect shade of green. Wish me luck!


Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona

12 comments:

Justine said...

Oh no! Unpicking backstitch is the worst kind of unpicking too, I'm always worried I will damage the stitches underneath. Hope you manage to find the "Goldilocks" thread and have a gorgeous finish soon!

butterfly said...


Oh Ronda it is looking so beautiful , I think the darker or maybe a med green is better than the light .
Good luck don't give up it's looking so pretty.

Katie said...

So sorry you are having these problems. Hope you find the perfect fit and are happy as can be soon.

Renee said...

I am so sorry the frog came to visit. Ripping out stitches is never fun. This is a beautiful piece!

Preeti said...

Hope your stitching issue gets resolved soon.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That really is the definition of frustration! Hope you can find the perfect shade now.

Mii Stitch said...

Oh dear, this is so frustrating!
I hope you have found the perfect colour shade for your back stitch.

Brigitte said...

I love this piece very much. Unpicking backstitches or some kinds of specialty stitches can be a real pain. I can fully understand you, Rhona. Good luck with finding the perfect thread colour.

Helen Philipps said...

Oh I do know just what you mean.... I have to keep trying till it is just right!! Good luck with your choices this week Rhona. (It is worth it for such a lovely picture!)
Helen xox

Lynn said...

I love this, it is beautiful!

Astrids dragon said...

Ugh, frogging back stitching is a pain, so sorry!
I think the lighter green looks good, but if you're not happy with it, I can totally understand trying again!

Heather said...

So frustrating! Frogging straight up sucks