Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Jo's Advent Calendar blog hop....and an apology!

Again I'm having to start a blog post with an apology.  I had signed up for Jo's Advent calendar blog hop and then with everything that's been happening in the family and two trips back to the UK, I had completely forgotten all about it.  So, my deepest apologies to Jo for messing up her plans and to all the other participants and readers, my apologies to you too.

Sooooo........Jo's question was 'How do you spend boxing day?' Boxing day isn't something that's celebrated here in the US, but being true Brits, we confuse our American friends by talking about it and bemoaning the fact that you don't get another day off work! When we lived in the UK it was a day spent with my side of the family as we had spend Christmas day with my hubby's family.  Today, we spend Boxing day quietly, eating the left-overs from Christmas dinner and usually playing board games. I love the fact that my grown up children love to play board games. We often go for a long walk (which seems to be another typically British tradition!) and we are lucky enough to have a nature preserve very close to where we live, so if the weather is good and there isn't tons of snow, a good long walk is also something that we  typically do (it also means that you can then eat the last of the Christmas trifle guilt-free!) I also like to get some stitching done too....what's a day without stitching?

Since I don't have any pictures of our boxing day traditions, I thought I would just share some of my Christmas stitching from previous years (lots of pictures as I'm feeling guilty for missing my date!)....




























....and now that I have seen some of these old pics, I really want to go and stitch some of these little gems again!

For more of the advent Blog-hop please visit Jo's blog here.....you might find some new blogging friends to follow!

So, apologies once again for throwing a spanner in the works for Jo's carefully laid out plans.  Wishing you all the joys of this wonderful season, no matter how you celebrate!

Until next time....happy stitching!

Rhona


18 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year with so many gorgeous photos! I added you to the calendar just before today's picture so more people will see you.

Board Games and Stitching sounds good to me too.

Kay said...

I really like the way the colours pop on the black aida, just stunning. x

RJ said...

Great stitching and projects Rhona. I love all of them. I am just learning what boxing day is this year. I had never heard of it before. I had all kinds of thoughts going through my head...none of them were right! RJ

rosey175 said...

Here from Jo's Advent hop~ Wonderful projects, all of them! I think I like the Joy banner with the cardinal the best, though Winter Wishes is nice too! Life does seem to like to throw a hitch in even our best-laid plans so don't feel bad. Merry Christmas to you and yours! :D

Katie said...

Hey at least you got the post up now. We all understand busy this time of year. I know I sure do. I'm so tired. Love all your beautiful stitching. I can't pick a favorite even. Thanks for sharing.

MartinaM said...

Oh so many little Ornaments, i love them all, but i have a favorite - those little hedgehogs.
Greetings, Martina

Elfie said...

So many gorgeous little Christmas designs - they made me smile. I hope things have settled down for you now, and that you have a lovely Christmas (and Boxing Day too).

Lynn B said...

Hi Rhona,

I love all of your stitching, it is so pretty!
Thanks for the comment on my blog, I have only just seen it on blogger, for some strange reason I never receive your comments through my email they always go straight to blogger! I would hate you to think I was ignoring you. Lol....

Best wishes
Lynn

Justine said...

You've more than made up for being late with all your gorgeous stitching! I love everything, you really have stitched some cute creatures.
Hope everything starts to settle down and you find some time for yourself over Christmas.

Christine said...

Loads of lovely stitching there, I particularly like the little short fat gnome

Astrids dragon said...

I'd say all that fantastic Christmas stitching has made up for it! I honestly can't say I have a favourite one, they're all wonderful!

Mii Stitch said...

I hope things settle down for you and your family. You have made some sweet Christmas finishes!

Mary said...

Your Christmas finishes are so cute.

DJ said...

My goodness, so many fun Christmas stitches to look at! It's been fun visiting your blog, and I'll be back when I have more time. I hope you are able to slow down and enjoy your Christmas. Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

Brigitte said...

So much wonderful Christmas stitching, Rhona, no wonder that you want to stitch some of these little beauties again.

Unknown said...

How do I find the patterns?

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

So much lovely stitching.I still love playing board games and I get to do it with my grandsons:)I hope you have a good Christmas

Ariadne said...

Just managed now the blog hop.So many beautiful stitched pieces.Happy new year!AriadnefromGreece!