Friday, April 27, 2018

Fun Finds Friday

This week while having a quick (ha ha!) nosey on Pinterest, I came across this picture....


....kind of looks like the hoops from last weeks Friday Finds, doesn't it? Unfortunately the blog that the picture links to, appears to have been closed. I was so excited to see how I could make these hoops and then so disappointed because there were no instructions. So, what's a girl to do when she can't find a tutorial on how to make them? Well, I guess she has to do it herself......so here we go!

Gather all your supplies.....hoops (of course!) and fabric (a small pattern would work best on this project) then your choice of either glue, double sided tape or glue tape runner. I tried all three and there were pros and cons to all. In the end I felt that the glue runner seemed best but feel free to use what you have on hand.

  
First step is to trim your fabric into long strips, mine were about 1.5 cm wide, but they don't have to be exact!

Then dab a spot of glue on the inside of the hoop to hold the fabric in place. I found that the tacky glue was a bit messy and I preferred the tape.....but there's no rules about what you can use.....


 ....then keep wrapping around and around pulling tightly until you come to the end of the hoop. Another dab of glue or bit of double sided tape to finish off at the other end and you're done!

  
Of course after I had taken this picture I realized that I should have covered the metal fitting....duh! So......undo all that work and start again......


.....much better! For my next hoop I decided to use some ribbon....no cutting or snipping frayed edges.....much simpler......


..... and a nice shiny finish too!


So many lovely colours and pattern in ribbons that can match any project you are working on....


....add the same ribbon to make a hanging loop and a little bow to finish it off...


...and you have it all matching! 


Doesn't that look great? The design I used here is one of Joan Elliott's from her book 'Cross Stitch Greeting Cards'. The blue in the design and the ribbon matches perfectly! What a great finish....well, I think so anyway!

Until net time...happy stitching!

Rhona


8 comments:

MartinaM said...

Oh this is a great idea. Thank you for sharing,
Happy Weekend, Martina

Kay said...

Such a pretty idea. Thank you for sharing. x

butterfly said...

Looks so lovely in pretty blues.
I painted one for my friend in March which was fun too.

Manuela said...

What a wonderful idea.
Happy Weekend. Manuela
Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.

Terri said...

what an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Katie said...

Oh how perfect. Thanks for sharing. Makes perfect sense to me.

Carol said...

How pretty! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial, Rhona :)

Wendy said...

It does look great. I like decorating my hoops. I've done some with fabric like this, some with decopage and some where I've crocheted round them.