Monday, May 15, 2017

Stitching logs

So today I have something exciting to share with you! 

After my last post about changing the colours on chart and not making a note of the changes, I did a search online for something that we stitchers could use to log either our daily/weekly progress or something to note the changes we have made....and came up with.....nothing! Zero, zilch, nada......not a single thing - how sad. Sooo, what's a girl to do but design her own! Well, in my case, it was design her own and get the technology savvy daughter to help out :)  (Thanks Sweetheart, you're the best!)

So what started out as a single idea has spawned into several projects as there was so many different things I wanted to do. So this log I'm sharing with you today, is the first of a few different logs that I'll be producing to make our stitchy lives easier and a bit more organized

Since I was working on a design that already had the colours picked out and all I wanted to do was make a note of the conversions I had made, I designed a log specifically for that purpose.....



Now I can stitch the Margaret Sherry cats again and know exactly what thread colours I used and not have to waste time fiddling about trying to decide what colours look good together since I don't have all the anchor threads listed in the key. Now I just open up my DMC threads and select the ones I have listed on my handy-dandy log!

I can record who I stitched it for and how I finished it (well in my case that area would probably be left blank, as you all know how bad I am for actually getting round to doing any finishing!)



This log is great  for using if , like me, you love the free kits that come with some magazines and want to stitch the chart more than once. Since the thread numbers aren't given on the key all you need to do is check the threads that are in the free kit and decide what DMC or Anchor threads match the threads supplied, mark them on your log and start stitching the kit, knowing that you can now stitch it again, and again!



Even if you don't have a thread chart like the one pictured above, you can always see what threads you have in your stash and note the numbers from there.




So how do you get your stitching log? It's easy....just click here! 

Please note that this is for personal use only and is not to be sold, shared or reproduced. By all means share the info about the log on your blog or social media, but please link back to this post so that I can get an idea how popular (hopefully!) the log is....thank you!

If you do download the log, please can you leave a comment (even if it's only a few words!) so that I can tell how many people are interested in using it. 

My next project will be to produce a monthly stitching log so that you can log the number of stitches that you accomplish every stitching session etc. I have had some wonderful feedback on what stitchers like to record, so I'm hoping to be able to do a few different types of stitching logs.....so check back for more updates.

Phew! That was a lot for one little log. So how's the actual stitching coming along? Here's where I am now on the adorable Margaret Sherry kitties....



I'm still enjoying stitching this design....and I'll have all the info at hand for doing it again a third time!

Until next time....happy stitching!

Rhona



17 comments:

Unknown said...

I've downloaded. Looking forward to the next one. Thank you so much.

cucki said...

Your stitching is beautiful and I think it's a great idea ..I love it
Love and smiles x

Stitching Noni said...

Yes! I love your stitching log idea! I have tried various ways - notebooks, journals, spreadsheets but can never settle to anything so I am very happy that someone else has found a way to manage all these notes that we like to keep - thank you :o)
Love your MS kitties!
Hugs x

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I have made a note of this post. I hope to make mention of your log in the near future. I will be MIA for the next week or so, so I won't have an opportunity right away. However, you may want to look at making this a rich pin on Pinterest to it on your blog. I think you would reach a larger audience. You are very creative. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Will give your log a try: always interested to see other stitcher's organisers. Thanks

LindaLee said...

Hello Rhona! Your log sure looks great. Nice job. I too keep a log of all my work, and I also, on the log, keep track of my time. One column is for time, and I put down what time I start and what time I stopped and add the time up as I go. The reason I did this years back is because I realized that just putting the start and finish date on a piece, didn't really tell you how long it took you. Such as, I may start a piece on January 1st. and finish it on March 1st.. It looks like I spent two months on it, when really, it only took me 23 hours....Just short of one whole day. It's really fascinating to me to see exactly how long something takes me. I also write on the back of the framed pieces. Such as....if it's a gift, I would write, "The name of the piece and then, something like Total piece finished in 125 hours. Look closely and you'll see a little bit of love in every stitch". By the way, I have been following you for a very long time and always enjoy your post. Beautiful stitching also. LindaLee

LindaLee said...

I just sent you a comment about how I keep my time on my stitching but I think I hit, anonymous. Drat! It's from me though, LindaLee at lovenmystitches.blogspot.com

Irene said...

Grazie Rhona! Per me è davvero utile e sono anche interessata ai tuoi prossimi progetti! Lo userò sicuramente per i miei prossimi lavori

xstitchlibrarian said...

Great idea for the stitching log - I've downloaded it for myself. Thank you for sharing it!

Carol said...

I have a little notebook that I just write the information down on a piece that I've stitched, but I love the idea of a printed form like this, Rhona. Thank you so much--I'm going to give it a try :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The log is a great idea and I'm sure that lots of people will find it useful. If I didn't have my Happy Dance blog I would definitely make an entire folder out of all my previous stitching. All 540 finishes!

Lisawp said...

I've downloaded it, not used a log before so will give it a try, I think its a great idea

Unknown said...

Great idea. I've downloaded the log because I'm sure I'm going to need it soon.

Unknown said...

Great idea. I've downloaded the log because I'm sure I'm going to need it soon.

Robin in Virginia said...

Rhona, how kind that you created and are offering this log sheet. I have kept a stitching journal (in many different shapes and formats) for years. I am going to print yours and give it a try down the road.

Astrids dragon said...

Thanks for sharing your stitching log, now to remember to use it! I'll be sharing it on my blog.
Love the kitties, I have them too and would like to start them... one day!

Clara said...

Wow!!! Love this log! Thank you very much!