Monday, July 16, 2018

Stitching and sewing!

Cross stitching has taken a bit of a back seat this week as I have been trying to get on with the fidget quilt that I wanted to make for my mother-in-law. Somehow the day doesn't seem right without being able to add at least a few stitches to a cross stitch project, so I have been aiming to get at least one thread length of stitches done each night to the seashells design....


The fidget quilt is a priority to get done as we are heading back to Scotland again in two weeks time. This project meant that I was forced to become friends with my sewing machine.....and it worked! We're maybe not best buddies yet, but we at least understand one another :)

This is the whole thing laid out.....lots of bits aren't attached yet but I wanted to show you how it's progressing and how it will look. I'm really pleased with it so far....I still have the quilting part to do, so my opinion might change! 


So, for anyone who doesn't know what a fidget quilt is (I didn't until recently!) they are small quilts for people with dementia/Alzheimers and can be laid over the persons lap or laid on a table. They include little activities to keep fingers busy and can help reduce anxiety. 

The beads on the ribbon will be attached after I have finished the quilting part, the beads will be able to be moved along the ribbon. My mother-in-law likes to fold fabric or tissues so I tried to incorporate this type of thing into her quilt... the little triangles of fabric can be lifted and folded...


....and the strips of fabric  here have a pipe cleaner in between the layers so they can be manipulated, rolled and folded etc....


....these little fabric yo-yos were such fun to make. They still have to be sewn on, but that's another part for later...


 ...and this ribbon layer will also be attached at the end. This is just a fun part that my MIL can play with. There are different textures and colours....


....another textured part.....since she used to be a great knitter, this seemed like something she would like...


........and a little magnet closure should keep her restless fingers busy. (And I discovered a new stitch on my sewing machine!)...


This has been a fun project to do and I'm sure I'll make another one for her. I also think that I might try my hand at quilting.  My friend's daughter is pregnant and a little baby quilt might be a good sized project to start with.....I can hear the fabric at the craft store calling my name!

Until next time...happy stitching!


Rhona

11 comments:

RJ said...

Rhona, I think your quilt is amazing and such a wonderful idea. How blessed your MIL is to have you in her life and to be thought of in such a loving and caring way. I tear up looking at all of the work you have put into this and for such a great cause.

Glad you are kind of making friends with your sewing machine. I know how that feels. Maybe yours and mine can go out for coffee sometime and discuss their issues!

Your shell stitch is coming along beautifully. RJ

Katie said...

Oh I just love seeing the shell piece. Glad you are doing a little bit here and there. I LOVE the quilt you made for your MIL. What a fantastic creation. I bet she will just LOVE it.

MartinaM said...

It's a great idea, such a small blanket to feel and finger, try everything. I like it very much.
And a baby blanket is a good idea for a start, there are so beautiful beautiful instructions. You should definitely do that.
Greetings, Martina

Irene said...

how nice Rhona, you love your mother-in-law so much ♥

Manuela said...

Wonderful quilt idea for your mother in law.
The quilt looks great.
Best wishes Manuela

Helen Philipps said...

The shells cross stitch is looking very beautiful and I love your fidget quilt...such a special gift. A friend of mine makes them for a local home and I am sure they are a real comfort. I hope you have a good trip back to Scotland and that some of our recent sunshine and blue skies will be awaiting you!xox

FlashinScissors said...

Oh Rhona, this is such a great project! It’s a lovely way to help your MIL and it’s made you want to use your sewing machine again so that’s a “win win” situation.
I love all the great ideas you used, it’s a wonderful gift! Good luck on finishing in time!
Nice to hear you’ve been adding a few cross stitches too ..... sounds a good target to aim for one length a night! I agree with you there and if I haven’t stitched all day I usually try to add some stitches in the evening at least.
Enjoy your stitching!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Astrids dragon said...

Oh WOW, I've never seen anything like that before, it's wonderful! What a blessing that you can make it for your MIL, I'm sure it will keep her busy.

Justine said...

That fidget quilt is something else! You've had some great ideas for little fiddly bits your MIL can play with. I know these are highly recommended for people with dementia. Some of the ladies at our church who are knitters make them for our local care homes but this is so much more interactive.
And the bonus is all that quality time with your sewing machine!
Lovely stitching too.
Hope you have a safe trip.

Preeti said...

Your quilt is looking great with all the activities to help your MIL. And this has also given you confidence to try more sewing project.

Mii Stitch said...

What a great quilt, you're being so creative, I am sure your MIL will enjoy it.