Monday, April 22, 2019

Finished, framed and gifted!

And best of all....loved!

After a little mad panic by me the day before the bridal shower  - who knew that Michael's couldn't cut a mat for your stitching without having three days notice (and charge you $77 if you didn't have a coupon!) - everything ended up being fine.  With a little extra work on the stitching I managed to make it fit the frame that was also a last minute purchase....yeah, I like living dangerously!






As you an see in the picture above, the design had the swirls being cut off, but since I couldn't get the mat cut to the right size and, of course, the frames weren't the right size either, I ended up adding the top part of the swirly bits to make them complete. I thought it looked better that way....



 A plain-ish black frame and it looked  wonderful! And best of all....the bride-to-be loved it.

So let me give you the details of this design....

  • Kit by Dimensions
  • Ever After Wedding Record 70-35361
  • Stitched on 18 count Ivory Aida
  • Finished size 5 x 12 inches (30.4  12.7 cm)
  • Large colour symbol chart
  • Stitches used - whole cross stitch, long stitch, french knots and lazy daisy stitches

The kit had more than enough threads to complete the design as you can see by what's left over....



I marked the key with the DMC equivalent threads colours as this design is one I would definitely stitch again.

After gifting this, I realized that I should have recorded on the stitching or on the frame who had stitched it.....something for future generations to know. Of course, I always come up with these ideas when it's too late to actually do anything about them. I had a look on Amazon etc and there doesn't seem to be anything to add to a frame to note the name of the stitcher. There are some lovely labels that you can personalize with your name etc  that would look nice on cushions or small ornaments etc......and you just know that some of them will be making an appearance in my amazon cart, don't you?!!! Anyway, my question to you today is.....how do you record who stitched the piece when it's in a frame like this?

Until next time....happy stitching!


Rhona

9 comments:

Sasha said...

That looks great! I love it!
I had a double take moment when I saw the names on it, though. My husband and I are Cassie and Chris, too! :)

Kay said...

This is just lovely. I am sorry that you couldn't get it framed the way you wanted but it is still a beautiful gift that will be treasured. I don't usually record my stitching details on my sewing, I just never have.

Ariadne said...

I usually stitch my initials and year on the bottom right corner of the stitched piece. But since you didn't do it maybe you can write your name at the back of the frame. AriadnefromGreece!

Carol said...

Oh, the costs at Michael's are ridiculous for framing, Rhona. So glad you were able to make the frame work--it really looks lovely. As for recording the stitching detail, I often make little paper labels myself and glue them to the backing paper of the frame (you can see an example in this blog post: https://stitchingdream.blogspot.com/2011/12/gift-of-cross-stitch.html

Enjoy your week!

Helen Philipps said...

So beautiful Rhona! Well done on getting it finished and framed in time! In the past if I've gifted cross stitch designs I've written a label for the back of the frame, and often on samplers added my initials if there's room amongst the alphabets! Lovely to catch up with you again XXX

Rachel said...

I agree with the others that the finished and framed piece looks fantastic, and adding in the additional parts of the swirls was definitely the right decision.
I've just finished a Bothy Threads kit and that too was generous with the threads; so much better than knowing that you have to be careful with every inch. :)

C Reeder PhxAz said...

I use a pretty scrapbook paper and write who stitched it, the date, the occasion etc. then I use glue dots and adhere it to back of framed piece. I love this piece as you did it. Stunning. Makes the stitches pop. Hobby Lobby does far better on the spot service, very reasonable. I stopped using Michael’s a long time ago when they cut my stitched piece so close to the stitching it got lost in the side of the frame and they would do nothing about it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on the Happy Dance for the finished piece. I love the way the swirls look now.
I always put a sticky label on the back of the frame of gifted pieces with my name on it. My brother had two friends getting married to each other so I decided to stitch them a sampler. They had been very supportive to him when he was ill so although I didn't know them well I felt a sampler was in order. I duly wrote my name and a message of the back of the frame. My brother took the sampler to the wedding and placed it on the gift table (wrapped).
Three years later they had a baby boy and I sent a card of congratulations and included my full name and return address as usual.
I got a lovely response from them saying "Finally, we solve the mystery of the wedding sampler!" Because I had put my married name I totally forget they would not recognise it was being connected to my brother! They had NO idea who had made the lovely sampler, despite asking all their relatives!

Astrids dragon said...

You framed your beautiful piece perfectly! I like the way you finished the swirls, I think it looks much better.
I normally stitch my initials and year, but have also written on the back if I had something to say or sometimes I've glued a small stitched piece on the back.