Saturday, March 31, 2012

Summertime strawberries

Nothing says summer quite like some fresh strawberries...don't you agree? So, when I was asked to do a summertime jam jar cover project for Craftseller magazine, I just knew I had to have some strawberries in there somewhere! This was such a fun project to do, in fact I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to do it again, and you know that I very rarely do that. Anyway, let me show you the jam jar cover that I made. Here are some pictures I took before sending the finished article off to the editor....



Isn't that cute? And here's a close up of the stitching that's on the top...


And a close up of those strawberries, just waiting to be picked....



This picture shows how the magazine presented it...


Craftseller Issue 9
April 2012
Immediate Media Company Ltd

When I was asked to do this project, I did wonder who on earth actually still used jam jar covers....it's the sort of thing that reminds me of my Grandmother (she always had little crocheted covers on her jam, which was always home made, never store bought!) Still, who am I to question a commission?!! lol. Once I started making it, I fell totally in love with the concept, they are so cute and make even a store bought jam look fabulous. And so, of course, my little brain got to thinking (it does happen - occasionally!) how can I use this idea? Of course, I could make some homemade jam and give it to friends and neighbours, although I'm more likely just to go to the store and buy some jam! And then I had the 'light bulb' moment. A 'sold' sign just went up on the house at the bottom of our street - wouldn't this make a wonderful welcome to the neighbourhood type gift?  When the new neighbours move in, I'm going to give them a little basket filled with some crusty french rolls, the jam with it's cute little cover, a jam spoon and some coffee and tea sachets, maybe add a little teapot....ooh, I can't wait to put this together.  I'm going to make a welcome to the neighbourhood card to match too - I'll let you see it when it's done!. I'm sure Grandma would be proud!

Jam jar covers rock!!!
Until next time...happy stitching!

Rhona


8 comments:

Fiona said...

Lovely cover Rhona and I love your neighbourhood warming present idea :)

Mouse said...

oooo now that is cute :) and great idea for a house warming gift :)
love mouse xxxx

mdgtjulie said...

It's beautiful Rhona. I love it, and what a great idea for the new neighbors.

Hippywitch said...

Oh so cute! What a lovely idea for a house warming gift too, aren't you a lovely neighbour :-)

I have to say I like your pics better than the mag ones though, the jar is a much better shape!

love Lori xx

Valma said...

Surely she would ♥
you did a very lovely job !
I agree with hippywitch your pictures are better than in the mag ;)
sure your job is better too =D
BRAVO
hugs from France
xxx

Dani - tkdchick said...

That is absolutely adorable!

Mangogirl said...

awww they are so cute :D

Anonymous said...

What an absolute brilliant idea Rhona ! And such a kind gesture for your new neighbours. Happy stitching ! Ann